Although the carrot plant is primarily grown with the aim of obtaining roots, Carrot Seeds are produced when the flowering process is induced; and the plant turns from the vegetative phase to the reproductive phase thus producing a rod or floral tassel at the end of it and umbels which carry the seeds.
The seeds are used as a flavoring agent in many food products and cosmetics in addition to its utilization as medicinal purposes. Carrot seeds oil not only has antioxidant effect but also possesses counteractive role for several disease such as cancer, diabetes and inflammation.[1:1]
- Carotol is one of the compounds found in carrot seed oil.[1:2]
- Methanol extract of carrot seeds exhibited high radical-scavenging activity more than α-tocopherol.[1:3]
- Carrot seeds oil possesses an antifungal effect; attributed to its carotol content.[1:4]
Ethanol extract of carrot seeds has demonstrated the ability to prevent damage to the liver; against the impact of toxins such as thioacetamide and carbon tetrachloride.[1:5]
Carrot seeds ethanol extract had the most promising effect on preventing brain aging.[1:6]
Oral administration of carrot seed extract could reverse the negative effects of D-galactose including the reduction in catalase and the elevation in malondialdehyde (MDA) either in brain or in plasma and the elevation in plasma Tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-α), Butyrylcholinesterase (BChE) as well as the liver and kidney functions. On this basis, it was concluded that the studied extracts have promising protective effect against the accelerated brain aging.[1:7]
- This may be attributed to the presence of oleic acid as monounsaturated fatty acid.
- Fatty acids stimulate gene expression and neuronal activity, boost synaptogenesis and neurogenesis, and prevent neuro-inflammation and apoptosis. By doing so, they promote brain development, ameliorate cognitive function, serve as anti-depressants and anticonvulsants, bestow protection against traumatic insults, and enhance repairing processes.[1:8]
- The oral administration of carrot seed extract can contribute to an elevation in acetyl cholinesterase activity which has been shown to help reverse memory deficits.[1:9]
Disease / Symptom Treatment
Impaired insulin signaling is a major contributor in the development of Alzheimer’s dementia (AD).
[The] D-galactose model of aging results in a diminishing of learning and memory function by producing a state of impaired insulin signaling that causes a cascade of deleterious events like oxidative stress, inflammation, and tau hyper-phosphorylation.[2:1]
- Carrot seeds extract may have a beneficial effect in treating Alzheimer’s dementia due to the superiority of carrot seeds ethanol extracts in the protection against the negative effect of D-galactose.[1:10]
- This ability might be due to the high content of phenolic compounds and flavonoids as found in carrot seed extract.[1:11]